Friday, March 19, 2010

Thursday was the best first day I've ever seen

Three overtime games, one that went 2 OT and seven that were decided by a three-pointer or less were the story on Thursday. I sat there watching games all day and it's hard for me to say I was ever bored, except when there wasn't a game for a few minutes. I've only been watching the whole first weekend for six years or so (thanks to high school classes), but I can't say the other five were anywhere near the sixth.

First, props to Lehigh and Robert Morris for keeping 1-16 and 2-15 games close. Robert Morris deserved to win that game against Villanova as Scottie Reynolds was out of rhythm from the start coming off the bench. If not for him getting bailed out on a few real tough foul calls late, the Wildcats might not be the only Big East team that won on Opening Day. Once that game went to overtime, Villanova had it wrapped up against a foul-laden Robert Morris squad.

Which leads me to my other point about the best conference in college basketball. Where were Georgetown, Marquette and Notre Dame yesterday? I wasn't surprised by the Irish if you look at my bracket, but I had the Golden Eagles and Hoyas pegged for the Sweet 16. While Marquette lost at the buzzer to a good team from a bad conference, Georgetown got smashed by an average team from a bad conference. The Hoyas were as inconsistent all season as they are talented, but I can't say anyone thought Ohio would be their downfall.

BYU needed two overtimes and a terrible Florida possession at the end of the first extra period to beat the Gators, and Jimmer Fredette showed how he can put a team on his back with 37 points. He'll need a repeat performance along with Michael Loyd's 26 to combat the Kansas St. backcourt of Danny Clemente and Jacob Pullen. In the other overtime game, Ismail Smith hit a game-winner for Wake Forest, who was slightly less terrible than Texas in one of the day's worst-played games.

But the highlight of the day may have come from the Murray St. Racers, who upset #4 Vanderbilt with a buzzer beater in the day's first set of games. Out of the day's first four games, two went to overtime and the other two were decided by one point. It was a great start to a great day, and Friday will definitely have trouble matching the excitement of yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment